Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ssalamu 'lekum from Terri in Australia

Ssalamu 'lekum. Keef halek?
My name is Terri Daktyl and I am joining the InterPlay Tour of Morocco! Eeyeh! Wakha! I live in Adelaide in South Australia, a beautiful and relatively peaceful place downunder downunder!

I have been an InterPlayer for about three years, having been introduced by the wonderful Adelaide facilitators Trish Fairley and Peter Lee. I have a strong desire to know more about our world and having a natural sense of equality and justice I am particularly keen to understand Islam in a direct personal and spiritual experience.

I am blessed with the opportunity to travel this year, a dream I am creating in faith and that follows a desire to be with people I love as they celebrate key events in their lives. I will go to Scotland and Ireland after Morocco to be with my family as my baby sister celebrates her 40th birthday, and I will go to Cape Town in September to celebrate the wedding of two amazing womyn wildlife activists from Adelaide, my dear sisters Kaye and Jude.

In the spaces I am looking to connect with people and follow my heart and create peace and song and play wherever I can. I hope to also attend the InterPlay Conference in Berkely in August. I plan to teach English wherever I have to chance and to learn more languages myself.

My current work is as a Union Organiser and one of our key celebrations this year is for the reinstatement of a Labour Government federally to restore at least one aspect of collectivism in a world that is increasingly individualist and competetive. I strive to organise people to play and work together and note the difference.

The greates celebration with the reenstatement of a Labour Governement in Australia is of course the long overdue "Sorry" to the indigenous people of Australia for the pain and suffering caused through white settlement and colonialisation. Many, many indigenous Australians were taken from their families as children and raised in institutions and by white families causing great cultural and spiritual desolation and isolation for many many thousands. It is with great pride that we have now made an official first "Sorry Day" as a small step toward reconciliation. I have some lovely songs that I will bring with me to continue that celebration in Morocco and elsewhere in the world.

I am feeling exited and honoured to be able to meet up with people I have read about and heard from on this blog. I am so looking forward to dancing and playing and singing with you all. Thanks especially to the InterPlayers doing all the organising, Sarah, Diane, Masankho and to Sofia for your lovely personal invite to Rabat. I cant wait for you to show me around!

maAH as-salaama.

Ps. I am renting my lovely home for six months or so. If you know anyone wants a home in Adelaide from June let me know. terrid2@bigpond.com

No comments: