Hi everyone!
Washington, DC is in the house!! Born and raised in New York City (of Puerto Rican and Jewish descent) I moved to DC about 15 years ago. I am very excited to join you all on this amazing trip. I am new to Interplay, new to Sacred Music and new to Morocco. So go figure! Actually, these are precisely the reasons I signed up. I discovered InterPlay this past summer and felt an immediate resonance with Interplay’s weaving of community, creativity and change. I have a deep appreciation of art, a profound love of jazz, and as Interplay has allowed me to find my dance, I am hoping that our trip to Morocco will help me (some who cannot even carry a tune!) to find my voice.
My spiritual journey has taken me to many places and faces. I was drawn to civil rights and social justice movements at a very young age. I was 16 years old when Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed and that event was life defining. I am someone who has pursued social activism, community organizing and human development all my life. I went to Cuba when I was 18 years old and have been looking for ways to change the world ever since. I decided early on to become a therapist and have spent the last 25 years, along with others, bringing a cultural performatory approach to human development to communities from the South Bronx and Harlem to Bosnia and South Africa.
So I look forward to meeting all of you and to creating this amazing trip together!
In play, performance and possibility . . . shelley karliner
No comments:
Post a Comment