Dear friends,
I've had several requests about resources for learning Moroccan Arabic. I see from Terri's message below that she's already a step ahead of me. :-)
For those of you who just want a taste of the language, I found this free audio series at survivalphrases.com. You can listen to the lessons right here by simply clicking on the titles below.
I've had several requests about resources for learning Moroccan Arabic. I see from Terri's message below that she's already a step ahead of me. :-)
For those of you who just want a taste of the language, I found this free audio series at survivalphrases.com. You can listen to the lessons right here by simply clicking on the titles below.
Lonely Planet also publishes a pocket-size Moroccan Arabic Phrasebook. We'll have a few of these on hand to share with the group in Morocco, but if you want to get it sooner you can find the two most recent editions at amazon.com and probably many other online sources as well.
For those of you who want the full course, click here for a very thorough but practical introduction to the language provided by Friends of Morocco, a website run by Peace Corps volunteers returned from service in Morocco.
Learning even two words in Arabic will greatly endear you to everyone you meet in Morocco. During my first few weeks in the country even my clumsiest attempts to communicate were enthusiastically received by my host family. I remember one such moment in particular, when in trying to state that I was a vegetarian and didn't eat chicken (djaj in Moroccan Arabic), what I actually said was "I don't eat glass (zjaj)" -- to which my host sister, suppressing a laugh, replied "neither do we."
For those of you who want the full course, click here for a very thorough but practical introduction to the language provided by Friends of Morocco, a website run by Peace Corps volunteers returned from service in Morocco.
Learning even two words in Arabic will greatly endear you to everyone you meet in Morocco. During my first few weeks in the country even my clumsiest attempts to communicate were enthusiastically received by my host family. I remember one such moment in particular, when in trying to state that I was a vegetarian and didn't eat chicken (djaj in Moroccan Arabic), what I actually said was "I don't eat glass (zjaj)" -- to which my host sister, suppressing a laugh, replied "neither do we."
No comments:
Post a Comment