My name is George Muedeking. I currently live in New Mexico, in the East Mountains outside of Albuquerque in a little town called Tijeras. I lived most of life until a two years ago in the SF-Oakland Bay Area, almost 30 years in Oakland-Berkeley. I bet I am the oldest traveller on this trip. You can figure out my age if I tell you I was born in 1943. My career has been as a professor of sociology for nearly 40 years. I am semi retired now, teaching one semester a year.
I first went to Morocco in 1970, my only time, and was fascinated with my experience. After only 3 days I new I wanted to return as soon as possible and explore the country and its culture. It seemed like a dream at the time because I was so truly awed by stepping into another world. I planned that return trip many times but something always came up to thwart the intention.
I have had a consistent interest in sacred music and singing in choruses for quite a while. I was participating in four groups in the early 2000s. One is called The Legacy singers, out of Oakland, whose mission is to keep alive the sounds of traditional Afro-American spirituals. Another group was a Black gospel choir at my church, and a third was the concert chorus at the school where I teach. Finally I was also singing for several years with the Festival Opera chorus in the Bay Area. Currently, I only sing with a small, fifteen member group called Quod Libet whose repetoire includes Renaissance sacred music and madrigals.
Last summer I traveled with an Interplay group to Malawi. This tour was led by Masankho Banda who is also one of the leaders of this tour. Sara Jane's mother Diane was an important member of that group too. I should say I have been an Interplayer since the late 90s sometime. My wife, Anne Sigler, and I lead an Interplay group in Albuquerque about twice a month. We have a lot of fun.
I hope I have conveyed how my life's experiences, interest in music and Interplay, and travelling just made me jump at the chance to go on this trip. Thanks to all who are arranging this to happen. And I look forward to meeting those of you I have not before met.
No comments:
Post a Comment